Saturday, November 15, 2008

Coming off the high

The car-free month is over and has been over for a few days, but we have yet to take our car out. We haven't needed it. CFD has been continuing to take the bike to go grocery shopping and we haven't needed to go anywhere else so far.

I'm sure CFD would love to be permanently car-free, but I think he's going to have to work up his leg muscles, physical endurance and find better bike routes first. Today, our first weekend off the challenge, we have some place to go and it's 20 miles away. I don't doubt that he can make it one way, but we have to come back too. Public transportation does not lend itself well to where we're going and the Dutch bike is too large to be allowed on buses or trains, so mixing the two isn't much of an option. So, for today, we're going to have to take our car. I'll make CFD take comfort in knowing that he would be transporting three adults and two children in our sedan, so we'll be making full use of our vehicle.

I do think that we will be driving less over the course of the next year. CFD likes biking. He prefers it to driving, not only for the environmental factor, but because he likes moving. I need a new bike to do any more biking. We discovered during this challenge that my bike is probably beyond repair. Perhaps in the spring, we'll get me a new bike. Until then, I'm content to use more public transportation.

No comments: